Bangladesh Foreign Minister A. K. Abdul Momen said on Friday that due to a high bid, the contract to build an airport terminal at Sylhet was not awarded to an Indian firm, and therefore went to a Chinese company.
“The Chinese are technically eligible from what I have read, and have the lowest levels. India’s offer was too much, and as a result they could not make it, “the Dhaka Tribune quoted Dr. Momen as saying.
Other news outlets stated earlier that the construction of a new terminal at Sylhet’s MAG Osmani International Airport had gone to BUCG (the Beijing Urban Development Group). The project’s bidders included Indian building giant Larsen and Toubro.
Sylhet ‘s proximity to northeast India and a potential concentration of Chinese staff in the region have raised security concerns.
“The question arose as to why China was given the work, and not India. In this case, research is provided by following the tender process to understand the technical and financial aspects, “Dr. Momen said.
Addressing the media ahead of I d, the senior minister referred to a variety of issues related to India and China, and said that New Delhi had not reached out to Bangladesh seeking help on the China border standoff.
Dr Momen said that India had neither communicated nor issued a diplomatic note to Dhaka regarding the situation in Ladakh where the Indian and Chinese forces have faced off for the last three months.